[ECOS] ecos == slow ??

Gary Thomas gthomas@redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 07:49:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 01:54, wangwei wrote:

> I have same opinion as you.
> Last year , I had try the nanox  based in ecos on a  arm7500 board , at 56M hz frequency.
> But I 'm very dessapointted for the result.It's too slow.
> It's even slower than the Xfree86  for  linux running in the same board.

You can't possibly compare these!  XFree86 has been around for almost 10 years and is extremely
optimized and tuned and gets very good performance on even the slowest/dumbest/simplest hardware.
nanoX shares none of that heritage and its performance is often less than stellar.  The main
advantage nanoX has over XFree86 is one of size, and the fact that it runs easily on a number
of embedded systems, including eCos.  XFree86 requires Linux.

As for the original question about eCos' performance, I'd have to say that there is something else
going on with the JVM environment that's contributing to the slowness.  It could even be something
as simple as the device is trying to start up networking in a non-networked environment (or
something related) and the eCos program is waiting (i.e. timing out) for DHCP to _not_ happen.  I
think that Stijn and Tom need to do a little more investigating to find out what's going on.