[ECOS] tcp/ip performance on ecos

Gary Thomas gthomas@redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 18:33:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 18:44, Yong wrote:

> can anyone tell me how much cpu resource(mips) is needed to run tcpip stack
> on ecos nonstop ? I am planning to make my board a video stream server on
> 100M lan enviroment ,but concerned about overall performance of the system,
> my board is based on hitachi sh-3 cpu which is about 60 mips .

The networking performance depends on many factors, not only the CPU
and it's speed.  Probably the most important is the actual networking
adapter itself - some require much more overhead than others do.

The only way to truly answer your question would be to measure it on
your desired hardware.  We have very extensive testing programs which
are designed for measuring exactly these data - in particular, how much
CPU processing is required for a given network load and how things are
affected by various "background" loads.  However, measurements on one
platform can only give you hints of the actual/expected performance
on a given target platform.