[ECOS] c++ ecos performance

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Thu Mar 7 18:53:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 07:18:40PM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 15:54, max rtos wrote:
> > eCos has been implemented in C++, has any one done
> > some analysis on the performance (for any component)
> > against equivalent c implementation?
> > And the user api is in C. That's something I don't
> > feel comfortable.
>
> Major effort was made to avoid any C++ constructs which would
> add overhead, either memory (size) or speed.  We've not done
> any analysis (a complete analysis would require rewriting
> eCos in "C"!), but we're confident that you're not having
> to "pay" for anything extra when you use eCos.

I've compared timing info for eCos, ThreadX, Nucleus, and one
other I don't remember.  All but eCos were written in C.  eCos
times for context switching and whatnot were all pretty much
the same as the others.

[I don't like C++ much as a language (in the abstract) as I
think it's too complex and too unsafe.  But, I must say that
the guys who wrote eCos used it well.]

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com