[ECOS] Network speed very slow with redboot

Gary Thomas gthomas@redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 07:32:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 08:01, Nejat Tek wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Now we know that it is supposed to be slow, is there any quick fix
> that can speed up the redboot networking?
> Do you think, for example, polling the ethernet device driver more
> often, or, changing background networking thread priority, can I
> obtain a significant improvement ? If so, which piece of code should
> I play with ?

There are no threads in RedBoot :-)

I don't think that there is much that can be done [easily].  The biggest
problem is the size of the packets that GDB uses and the associated
overhead.  If you use RedBoot to download code directly (using TFTP and
the 'load' command), you'll see much faster download times.  I just tested
it on one of our platforms here and the difference was pretty
large:
  GDB - 153k (bits/sec)
  RedBoot via 'load' - 700k (bits/sec)
So the problem is not really with RedBoot's networking code, but the
additional overheads involved with the GDB protocol.