[ECOS] Cannot communicate with RedBoot on Viper board

Paul Randall prandall@delta-info.com
Tue Mar 5 08:44:00 GMT 2002

Hi All,

I just purchased a A&M Viper board and I am having trouble communicating
with RedBoot.

I am connected to Serial Port 2 (SMC1) on the Viper and I'm using
Windows 98 HyperTerminal to communicate with the board.  I'm running
with the data rate set to 38400 bits per second, 8 data bits, no parity,
and one stop bit as instructed by the RedBoot documentation.  I have
flow control turned off.  A&M tech support told me I should see a '+'
when RedBoot starts up, but I don't get any response at all.  A&M has
assured me that RedBoot was installed on my board.

When I plug in the Viper, green LEDs D3 and D4 both light up as does LED
D7.  A&M support suggested I press the reset switches and look for the
'+' but all that happens is LED D8 turns on for a fraction of a second
before LED D7 turns back on.

Has anyone seen similar problems with the Viper?  Any suggestions?

Paul Randall
Delta Information Systems