[ECOS] versioned directory paths

Andrew Lunn andrew.lunn@ascom.ch
Fri Mar 1 08:24:00 GMT 2002

Current is used for snapshots which are in CVS.

Numbered versions are used for 'official releases'. These have been
through lots of testing, more than what happens for CVS releases. eg
paying customers receive release with numbers, not current.

As a paying customer i find it useful. For a while i had to support
two different versions of eCos which had different serial device
drivers API. I could then use the version number for conditionally
compiled code. Its also possible to keep different versions of
packages in the same source tree. I found this useful when developing
newer versions of a package, but still need the old one around until
the new one was stable etc.

For CVS, which is how most of you get your sources,its all pritty
useless. I think the original idea was to have many more 'official
releases' like 1.3.1 and the up comming 2.0. If this happened say
every two months and people used them instead of anonCVS, the version
numbers would be usefull. Since its been 2 years between 1.3.1 and
2.0, everyone has been using anonCVS and so the versions have become
pointless.

The documentation does go into some of these details. There are quite
a few powerful features which are simply not used.

  Andrew