[ECOS] Atmel EB40A eval board SRAM confusion

Gary Thomas gary@chez-thomas.org
Sat Jun 8 05:31:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 06:25, Tim Drury wrote:

> I feel a little stupid.  Not 10 minutes after I sent that email that I thought
> about looking at the EBI registers (it has been over 2 years since I've done
> embedded work and I feel I've forgotten everything).  And, sure enough,
> the CS1 config register was not setup for the SRAM.  For those that find
> themselves in a similar situation, I put 0x02002001 in that register and got
> the SRAM up.  I'm not sure about the wait states (all off) but it is 10ns SRAM
> and appears to be reading/writing.
>
> I haven't gotten "hello world" running yet as I ran out of time last night,
> but the code image did appear to get into the SRAM.  I set a breakpoint
> on the printf() and when I ran the code there appeared to be no error
> messages in the gdb console, but it claimed "RDI_setbreak: no more
> break/watch points available".  I look into this one more today.
>
> Thanks for the help,

What are you using for GDB?  Note that if it's Angel, eCos currently
has no support for I/O.  In other words, eCos will be expecting to talk
"normal GDB protocol" to print messages, which is not what Angel uses.
Your choices are to get RedBoot running on the board (which supports the
normal GDB protocol), or add Angel GDB support to eCos [a non-trivial
task].