[ECOS] System timer resolution and TCP/IP package

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Fri Jan 25 08:08:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 03:47:42PM +0100, Martin Buck wrote:
> Jurica Baricevic wrote:
> > cyg_thread_delay(1) seems fine.
>
> Completely unrelated to your questions, but cyg_thread_delay(1) reminds
> me of something I always wanted to ask:
>
> How long does cyg_thread_delay(1) wait, assuming a 10ms tick? 0-10ms or
> 10-20ms?
>
> If it's 0-10ms, then it's pretty dangerous to use, because you usually
> mean[1] "some short delay in the order of a few ms", but you could just
> as well get no delay at all, if the next timer interrupt happens to
> arrive right after the call to cyg_thread_delay().

When I do it, it's always in a loop semi-busy-waiting for an event:

  while (waiting_for_guffman)
      cyg_thread_delay(1);

The first dealy is 0-10ms, but (assuming the system isn't
completely swamped) subsequent delays are 10ms each.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com