[ECOS] eCos port for Michochip PIC17C752.

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Sat Dec 28 07:41:00 GMT 2002

Please copy all messages to the ecos-discuss list so that everyone can
be involved.

<ramraj@tatatechnologies.com> writes:

> Dear Mr. Garnett,
>
>     It will be a great favor to me if you elaborate it a bit
>     more. Why it is not possible to port on PIC system and what kind
>     of system it(eCos) is designed for ?
>
> Regards,
> Ramraj

The PIC is a very primitive microcontroller, the architecture is not
conducive to multithreading, and only supports a highly restricted
version of C with difficulty. The PIC17C752 only has 16k of program
memory and 678 bytes of RAM.

eCos is designed mainly for 32 bit processors -- take a look at the
list of supported targets. It also needs a GCC port of C and C++.

You will not find many Operating Systems for the PIC, any application
for which a PIC is suitable would not need one.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.eCosCentric.com/