[ECOS] thread support on powerpc simulator?

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Tue Dec 3 10:44:00 GMT 2002

Ian Gilmour <ian.gilmour@ffei.co.uk> writes:

> Does the PowerPC simulator support thread debugging?

I'm afraid it does not.

> If so - do you need to configure something to enable it?
>
> I'm debugging (using insight) the twothread example (and using the default
> PowerPC simulator config - which claims to have GDB multi-threading debug
> support) and I was expecting to be able to display thread information (info
> threads) but this appears not to be the case.

I suspect that the thread debug stuff is in the simulator
configuration simply because it didn't seem worth the effort to take
it out.

The problem with thread debugging is that it relies on code running on
the target to interpret and return the thread info. RedBoot actually
makes calls on a special entry point in the application to do this.

In a simulator there is no monitor running on the target to do this,
so the thread info cannot be extracted. The same is true of JTAG/BDM
or ICE based systems -- although there are tricks one can play to make
it work in these cases.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.eCosCentric.com/