[ECOS] Redboot for MBX

Gary Thomas gary@chez-thomas.org
Fri Aug 2 08:57:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 09:39, Barton Meeks wrote:

> --- Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> wrote:
>

> > You have a standard MBX?  When you get the machine
> > check,
> > can you see the registers (using your BDM
> > interface)?
>
> It appears to be a standard MBX, possibly an earlier
> version. I can see the registers via the BDM.
>
> > Actually, I was thinking you could try the RAM
> > version by
> > first using a known working ROM version.
>
> Even my broken ROMs initialize enough of the board so
> that Redboot RAM as well as eCos applications that are
> built to be fairly stand-alone.  (I don't quite
> understand the ways in which an eCos application
> depends on Redboot. That's why I asked earlier about
> compatibility between old Redboots and recent eCos builds.)

The main compatibility is with the virtual vector interface, used
primarily for the console I/O.  If you can run with the image that's
on the web-site, it's more than compatible with any [recent] eCos
application.

I am confused about why you can run RAM code (eCos applications or
RedBoot), but not ROM code.  Both methods [re]initialize the CPU,
including the MMU, from scratch.  Thus if it fails with one, it
should fail with the other.

I assume that you're running from the 8bit ROM (which is what the
image on the website is for).  Have you tried building an 8bit image
from scratch?  Or was it just the 32 bit version?