[ECOS] Re: does eCos/GNU debugger supports EmbeddedICE

Matthew H. Gerlach mgerlach@lightsurf.com
Wed Sep 19 18:26:00 GMT 2001

Shaojie Wu wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your reply, my understanding is that by using
> on-chip embeddedICE, JTAG embeddedICE interface unit and
> GNU gdb, I could  download our program, containing ecos,
> into ram, and the program is run and debugged out of ram.
> In order to do all of these, we do not need to pre-build
> any  program (like angel) into the arm chip core. Am I
> right?

That sounds right to me.  We don't have anything like angel in our
core.  We do have a simple boot code that at least puts the processor in
a known state.  Before we had a boot, we were able to use gdb to write a
few registers in the arm core to program the memory controller so ram
would work.

> I also have some other questions
> 1. which command of gdb you are using to program the flash
> memory? Does gdb has a command for flash downloading?

We don't use gdb to program flash.  We do use gdb to load and run a
program in ram that performs the flash programing

> 2. Have you ever tried to modify  the redboot and make it run
> on your custom board?  If not, without the support of redboot,
> how could you use eCos to write the code. ( seems lots of functions
> do need the support of redboot running on board)

We don't use redboot.  It wasn't available when we started.  We have our
own small boot code that does very little.