[ECOS] Hello Code size

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 13:50:00 GMT 2001

Dzanh Nguyen wrote:

> I am new with the Ecos. I build the example hello.c and looked at the map
> that the linker generated, the total code size for the hello is around 42K.
> Is Ecos footprint actually that big or I did something wrong?

eCos is a highly configurable operating system. The default configuration
mostly tries to add functionality, rather than reduce size. You should
easily be able to reduce that footprint by orders of magnitude when you
understand the requirements of your application. For example, for hello
world, you probably wouldn't include the kernel package at all since you
aren't using multiple threads. There are various libc stdio features like
stdio buffering that could be disabled, etc.