[ECOS] ethernet driver package idea

Bart Veer bartv@redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 11:01:00 GMT 2001

    Trenton> One more thing. You might want to do what I've done
    Trenton> below. It's a little nicer using a drop down box than a
    Trenton> text box for selection of the ethX device name!

    Trenton> 	cdl_option CYGDAT_ETHDRV_NAME {
    Trenton> 	    display       "Name to use for this network device"
    Trenton> 	    flavor        data
    Trenton>           legal_values {"\"eth0\"" "\"eth1\""}
    Trenton> 	    default_value { (1 == CYGHWR_NET_DRIVERS) ? "\"eth0\"" :
    Trenton> "\"eth1\"" }
    Trenton> 	    description "
    Trenton> 	        The name of this network device for control purposes.
    Trenton> 	    "
    Trenton> 	}

This would prevent the user from calling the device something other
than eth0 or eth1, effectively restricting the system to just two
ethernet devices. It is possible to have more than that, although at
present only eth0 and eth1 can be easily configured via the
configuration tool - any additional ones require effort at the
application level. I would prefer users to still have the flexibility
to call their network devices anything they want to, even if this
involves a bit more complexity in the user interface.

Bart