[ECOS] [Fwd: Windows CE restoration]

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 13:21:00 GMT 2001

[ Forwarded to the list for clarity ]

I see... you are simply wanting to use RedBoot as a vehicle for restoring
your old WinCE images and that's all.

Gary's already been asking you about the flash chip, but almost needless to
say, it shouldn't be doing that.

But I'm curious: I didn't know the parrot loader was specific to the CF
sleeve. Are you sure it is?

I tried to play with an iPAQ in the office here (which does have the CF
sleeve, although I could remove it of course), and I couldn't make it bring
up the parrot loader at all, although that may be because it was out of
battery, and maybe dropping it in the cradle while holding the "action"
button isn't the same.

To : "Jonathan Larmour" <jlarmour at redhat dot com>
Subject : Re: Windows CE restoration
Date : Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:21:30 +0300
Disposition-Notification-To : "Manos S. Pappas" <frontier@unwired.gr>

> -----?????? µ???µa-----
> ?p?: jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com
> [ mailto:jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com]e ? µ????? t?? Jonathan Larmour
> ?p?st???: ?e?t??a, 1 ??t?ß???? 2001 8:59 µµ
> ????: Manos S. Pappas; ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
> T?µa: Re: [ECOS] Windows CE restoration
>

> [ I didn't notice all your other messages till now ]
>
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
[...]
> I believe all your other questions are part of attempts to get WinCE
> restored, rather than to get RedBoot working so I'll leave them. Although
> it looks to me that if you've never succeeded in installing RedBoot
> permanently, then you don't need to restore WinCE at all - it's all still
> there!
>
> If you have more questions, then please make clear exactly *what* you are
> trying to do, exactly what the current state is, and exactly what you did
> to get to the current state.

OK, one more try. I tried to keep it short and precise, but you want the whole story...

	I got a second handed iPAQ that was loaded with PocketPC 2002 (ROM version 2.07). My main concern is to restore my iPAQ to v1.77 (for which I have the ROM flash_* files), without using the "parrot" loader (as I do not have a CF sleeve) and by using RedBoot with my serial cradle (since handheld's.org bootldr fails even to boot).

	The problem is with RedBoot, because even if I try to install it PERMANENTLY in the flash ROM (as explained in the web page you mentioned), it fails (with error 0x2 when it tries to erase some memory locations). So, the first step is to help me determine what's wrong with RedBoot not installing in flash and why it has problems "poking" the flash memory in general.

	I've completely understood the eCos installation procedure, but right now I *do* need help to restore Windows CE. I'm living in Greece, not America, it's extremely difficult to find another iPAQ user, not to mention one with a CF card and a sleeve, so that I could use the "parrot" method. Right now, all I have is an H3630 with PocketPC 2002, I can't install Linux (handhelds.org) nor eCos nor able to restore to PocketPC 2000 (v1.77). The only thing installed is PPC2002 and it's bootloader, not bootldr or RedBoot.

	For starters, I would be grateful if someone could give me a _dummy's_ procedure on restoring Windows CE using RedBoot, instead of sending me to other site's pages (which have nothing in common, since they're using different tools). This procedure (WinCE restoration with RedBoot) IS MISSING from your FAQ's. Can someone give me a procedure that WILL work (or at least able to write to flash), probably something using the RedBoot_WINCE.bin version of RedBoot, as this is the only thing that get's loaded and executed properly? Is it possible with the RedBoot_WinCE to restore Windows CE in the iPAQ flash memory?

	Many thanks in advance and my appologies for the different posts.
---
Best Regards,
Manos S. Pappas        frontier@unwired.gr
Address: D. Synadinou 8, 82100 Chios, GREECE
PGP key available on request