[ECOS] Odd TCP behavior

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Tue Oct 2 08:43:00 GMT 2001

[Sorry about the previous copy of this message sent to
ecos-discuss-help -- defective mouse clicked the wrong thing.]

I've notice an odd behavior of the eCos TCP stack.  I've got an
application that does this:

Host    ----> Command        eCos
               Resp1 <----
               Resp2 <----

All messages are 5-6 bytes long, and the Host is advertising a
window size of at least 8K.  It takes 5-10ms to generate Resp1
and another 5-10ms to generate Resp2.

The eCos TCP stack apparently waits to send Resp2 until it
receives an ACK for Resp1.

When the Host is Linux, Resp1 is ACKed immediately, and
everything works fine.

When the Host is NT4, the ACK for Resp1 is delayed for about
100ms, and eCos won't send Resp2 until it sees the ACK for Resp1.

This delays Resp2 for 100ms, which results in really bad
latency problems.  (It takes 170ms to complete the transaction
instead of the expected 10-20ms.)

Shouldn't eCos keeps sending packets until the window has been
filled?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com