[ECOS] linux kernel(vmlinux) loading problem with redboot

Gary Thomas gthomas@redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 02:40:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 03:19, srinivas pulipati wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am using redboot to download vmlinux image on mpc860 board.
> redboot is not loading the image into 0x00000000 location(starting
> addrof RAM)
> it is only loading after 0x10000. my redboot is in FLASH.
> i need to download linux kernel into 0x0 location strictly.
>
> how can we download into location 0x0 using redboot.
> can anyone help me ?
>
> thanks in advance
> sriinvas

In general, RedBoot needs to use that memory for it's own purposes.
This is why you can't load programs there.

What we've done on other platforms is to add a special "exec"
command for running Linux, similar to the "go" command.  This command
has the additional smarts to relocate the Linux image to some special
location (like 0), turn off the MMU, etc, all in preparation for
starting the Linux kernel.

For an example, look at:
  hal/arm/sa11x0/var/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c