[ECOS] "really raw" sockets

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Thu Nov 15 04:52:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 12:03:53PM -0000, David Webster wrote:

> I need to write some software to communicate with an Ethernet
> device using a protocol that's not TCP/IP based. The devices
> use their own 802.3 Ethernet Type.

I've done this with my Ethernet driver by having it impliment
the standard IO device API (cyg_io_lookup/read/write/...) in
addition to the API used by the TCP/IP stack.  At the time I
did it, the raw packet interface was unsupported by the TCP/IP
stack, and I wanted my raw-mode to work even if the TCP/IP
stack wasn't installed.

I'm only interested in a single "custom" Ethernet proto number,
so I use cyg_io_set_config to select the proto number for
receive purposes, as well as optionally setting the MAC
address.  Raw frames are then sent/received with
cyg_io_read/write calls.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com