[ECOS] Re: Linux or ecos?

Phil Dempster p_dempster@yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 11:23:00 GMT 2001

> The application itself is very simple and only needs access to serial
> devices and to ethernet (with TCP/IP)...
> ...but it should be used as minimum RAM and FLASH as possible.

If you are concerned more about code size than having a full featured TCP/IP
implementation, you might want to look at lwIP
(http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip/).  I have had a quick look at porting this
to eCos (to the stage of getting it to compile) and it seems relatively
straightforward.  It is a lot leaner both in terms of footprint and RAM
usage than the eCos net package.

> There is another idea I think of, I want to write source of my
> application POSIX compatible because in future the application will be
> more complex

You need to use the EL/IX eCos template to get the POSIX compatibility
layer.  The EL/IX specification can be found at
http://sources.redhat.com/elix/.

Cheers,
Phil.