[ECOS] EL/IX discussion

Bart Veer bartv@redhat.com
Mon May 21 05:46:00 GMT 2001

    Andre> So, i see that the current implementation of EL/IX Layer
    Andre> under eCos work only at level 1 (without all functions)

    Andre> So i want know if because it we can't create more than 1
    Andre> processus !? and if in 1 processus we can create
    Andre> differrents threads ?

eCos was designed for systems where there is a single process
containing multiple threads. In other words pthread_create() is
supported, but not fork() or execve(). If you need multiple processes
then you will need an OS that supports higher levels of EL/IX, for
example some embedded Linux variant.

Similarly, if you want to develop an application for Linux with the
eventual goal of porting it to eCos, you need to restrict yourself to
the appropriate level of EL/IX functionality.

Bart