[ECOS] Re: [Fwd: [ECOS] Alternative to debug eCos using Multi-ICE]

Nick Clifton nickc@cambridge.redhat.com
Thu May 3 09:09:00 GMT 2001

Hi Jifl,

== This mail is interesting. Are the comments it makes about binutils
== still true? Or fixable?

Yes and yes...

> * Binutils does not set the ELF flag to indicate that an entry point
> has been set. You must manually set the PC to the entry point for
> the image.  This is commonly 0x00008000 or 0x0.

This would be the EF_ARM_HASENTRY bit (0x2) in the e_flags of the ELF
header ?

This is true.  I am submitting a patch to binutils that will fix this
for future releases of the linker.

> * Binutils does not generate the ARM mapping symbols that
> distinguish between ARM code ($a), Thumb code ($t), and data
> ($d).

This is sadly true.  ARM even contributed code that would fix this
problem, but so far we (the FSF) have been unable to obtain a
copyright assignment, so that the code cannot be used.

> * GCC does not generate call frame information.

Umm, I am not sure if this is true.  GCC does support a -mapcs-frame
option which should cause APCS compliant stack frames to be generated.

Cheers
        Nick