[ECOS] RedBoot: gateway support

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Fri Mar 30 06:08:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 02:12:45AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

> >  1) Is anybody interested in having gateway support put into
> >     RedBoot?
>
> Yes.  If you send it to me, we can see about making this "main
> stream". Note: I'll probably need a copyright assignment from
> you if we don't already have it.

I'll look into getting a copyright assignment.  I've been
trying to get one signed for about a year so I can contribute a
HAL for a Samsung eval board.  The officers wont sign it until
a lawyer looks at it, and we don't have any lawyers on staff,
so it has to be sent out somewhere, and so it goes...

> >  2) If yes, is the current scheme (TCP uses source Ethernet,
> >     UDP does gateway and ARP) good enough?
> >
> >  3) If not, should gateway/Ethernet address logic be moved into
> >     the IP layer, or should the routing logic be duplicated in
> >     UDP and TCP code?
>
> Ideally, the choices between these should be a configuration
> option (eCos == Embedded Configurable Operating System)!!  Once
> I see the details, I'll let you know.

The difference between 2) and 3) are fairly minor -- I'm going
to try implimenting 3) just for fun today.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com