[ECOS] cyg_io_lookup () and handles

Trenton D. Adams tadams@extremeeng.com
Wed Jun 13 11:48:00 GMT 2001

Ok, this is fine.  But does this mean I'm going to have to go looking
through the sources just to find what handles I can use?  After all,
isn't a handle just an unsigned integer identifier?  Or is it just the
"/dev/ser1" kind of thing?  In which case I could call mine
"/dev/mySuperWirelessDeviceThingy"! LOL

-----Original Message-----
From: jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com
[ mailto:jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Larmour
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 12:24 PM
To: Trenton D. Adams
Cc: 'eCos'
Subject: Re: [ECOS] cyg_io_lookup () and handles

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I think this is a simple easy to answer question.
> When creating drivers, does the driver developer select their own
> handle for their device?  If so, how does one pick a handle that
> doesn't conflict with any of the system device handles?

The developer is in control of the code they are using so it's up to
them to only have unique names in their sources :-). Just name new ones
unambiguously, preferably based around what is distinctive about their
driver.

There's no standard as such because the only way to make names truly
unique is to have a central registration authority, and that's just too
much overhead for something small like this :-).

Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223)
271062 Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley ||
Opinions==mine Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in
Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions
http://www.redhat-techworld.com/