[ECOS] cyg_io_lookup () and handles

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 11:24:00 GMT 2001

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I think this is a simple easy to answer question.
> When creating drivers, does the driver developer select their own handle
> for their device?  If so, how does one pick a handle that doesn't
> conflict with any of the system device handles?

The developer is in control of the code they are using so it's up to them
to only have unique names in their sources :-). Just name new ones
unambiguously, preferably based around what is distinctive about their
driver.

There's no standard as such because the only way to make names truly unique
is to have a central registration authority, and that's just too much
overhead for something small like this :-).

Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/