[ECOS] RedBoot porting

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Tue Jan 9 11:24:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 07:39:03PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > This is strictly my $0.02 and could be totally irrelevant to everyone
> > else's situations, but:
>
> Thats one of the things with a RTOS and its boot loader. Everyone has
> a different situation and it has to be able to handle it. My 0.02CHF
> says that Redboot is not yet flexiable enough when FLASH is used by
> the application.

As a boot loader it's fine.  The problem occurs when you try to
use it as a "BIOS" service provider for application code. Since
my application needs to burn flash with interrupts enabled, I
have to be extremely careful about how my application accesses
flash.  That probably means I either run RedBoot in RAM, or
don't use virtual vectors.  No matter how sophistacted you make
RedBoot, there aren't really any other ways around that problem.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com