[ECOS] ROM startup on EBD7212

Gary Thomas gthomas@cambridge.redhat.com
Fri Feb 2 05:32:00 GMT 2001

On 01-Feb-2001 Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:
> I am finally trying to get a flash-bootable version of my OS for a
> standalone demo for an upcoming trade show. I can't be loading this from a
> PC; I need to be able to just turn on the board and have it boot.
>
> Here's what I did:
>
> I set the startup type to ROM.
>
> I changed nothing else in the .ecc; I rebuilt the library, and then built
> my application.
>
> objcopy -O binary bios3.exe bios3.bin
>
> I used the download program to flash that BIN into the board.
>
> Power the board up (after removing the flash-boot jumper) - nothing.
>
> What else do I need to do to make a ROM-bootable application with eCos 1.3.1?

This should work.

How did you change the startup type?  If you are using 'ecosconfig' (i.e. _not_
using the Windows ConfigTool), then you'll need to rerun 'ecosconfig tree'.

Also, be sure and clean your build/install tree after any such change.
  # make clean
  # make

If you've done all this, does it turn on the "DIAG" LED?  This is only turned
on in software, and shows that the eCos hardware initialization code has finished.