[ECOS] Slow serial transfer to redboot

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 13:25:00 GMT 2001

Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 17-Aug-2001 Peter Blair wrote:
> > Regards All,
> >
> > I've been experiencing extremely slow transfer rates when downloading my
> > srec applications to an i386 target from both NT4 & 2000 machines.
> >
> > I've tested with multiple cables to numerous target hosts from multiple
> > source hosts with no change.  I've been using the pre-compiled redboot
> > .BIN image from the sources.redhat.com site, and was wondering if this
> > build of redboot has given anyone else any trouble.
> >
> > The strange part is that the first burst is quite quick, and I am able
> > to transfer 2k with no trouble, but after that initial transfer, the
> > rate drops dramatically.  I left the download to run overnight, and
> > checked the next morning to see that it had taken 5 hours to transfer
> > the file (while running at 38400 baud.
> >

> This might be a problem with the serial FIFOs not being enabled.

If this is the problem it's easily fixed - just uncomment the line in
hal/i386/pcmb/current/src/pcmb_serial.c:cyg_hal_plf_serial_init_channel()

However it's difficult to do this all the time without being sure it works.
See the amount of (admittedly configurable) cruft I added to
devs/serial/generic/16x5x/current/src/ser_16x5x.c to do the detection.