[ECOS] TCP stack order question (eCos + 802.11)

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Mon Aug 13 15:25:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:21:38PM -0600, Trenton D. Adams wrote:

> Doesn't the TCP/IP standard insure that a computer receives
> items in the same order they were sent at the application
> level?

Yes.

> Take for instance if I sent 4 buffers of 200 bytes each.  Those
> buffers should arrive on the other end of the TCP connection in
> the same order I sent them as far as the socket programmer is
> concerned right?  PLEASE say yes! :)

The bytes arrive in the same order you sent them.  They might
not arrive as "4 buffers", and if you depend on that behavior
your software will someday break.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com