[ECOS] loading the linux over redboot

Mark Salter msalter@redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 11:49:00 GMT 2001

> Hi,
> Has someone successfully loaded the linux image over redboot for the x86 based
> PC platform?

> After I booted the RedBoot from floppy, the prompt shown:

> RAM: 0x00000000-0x000a0000, 0x00080510-0x000a0000 available
RedBoot>

> Then, I loaded the kernel image using the following command.

RedBoot> load -r -b 0x00080600 bzImage
> The console displays a lot of garbage and prompt came back and showed:
> Raw file loaded 0x00080600-0x0013ed4a

> I must load the kernel image into the wrong address.  Where should I load the
> kernel image to?  And, what the starting address I shall use to execute the
> kernel?  Thank in advance.

I believe it needs to be loaded at 0x100000. In any case, RedBoot currently
lacks the ability to launch the kernel. I started to add this functionality,
but got sidetracked by other work. RedBoot needs to examine the kernel
image, perform some initial setup to pass the kernel parameters, and switch
to realmode before jumping to the kernel entrypoint.

--Mark