[ECOS] data alignment issues

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Thu Aug 9 11:42:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 08:43:03AM -0600, Trenton D. Adams wrote:

> Why not send structures if it works?  After all, if I've tested it and
> there isn't any problems, then it's no problem right?

The problem is that it's fragile.  If one end moves to a
different version of the compiler, it could break.  If one end
moves to a different architecture, it could break.  If you're
willing to depend on both ends always using the same version of
the compiler running on the same architecture you'll be safe.

But someday, somebody may want to want to use a different CPU
on one end, or a different compiler version, and they will say
not-so-nice things about you.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com