[ECOS] Re: Patch for x86 bootstrap

Fabrice Gautier gautier@email.enst.fr
Wed Apr 25 05:57:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:17:59 -0700
elf@florence.buici.com wrote:

> I made a patch to the platform.inc code so that the x86 gdb stub can
> boot from a device with geometry other than the default floppy
> geometry.  It also changes the handling of the _start address such
> that a) it can be aligned on any byte boundary, and b) it can be over
> 64k--for what it's worth.
>
>   < ftp://ftp.buici.com/pub/ecos/bootstrap >

I just want to point at this note your patch is deleting:

-	/* destination pointer es:bx */
-	/* With correct alignement, bx should be 0 and es should be a multiple
-         * of 32. If not it may cause the "buffer cross 64k boundary" problem
-         * (cf above)
-	 */

We patched this code loader about six month ago in order to avoid this
problem for floppy. I hope you did notice the problem and that it is not
reintroduced by your patch.
(I've not read your patch enough nor tested anything...)

Good work anyway, and good to see someone working with the x86 platform...

Regards,

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enstfr>