[ECOS] How to create a Bin file for downloading

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards larwe@larwe.com
Tue Apr 24 06:18:00 GMT 2001

>Huang Qiang wrote:
> > While using eCos configuration tool and the cross compiler and linker
> how to
> > build a program to be store in the target's flash memory and start it
> at the
> > startup?
>
>How to get it onto your board is board dependent. For the EB40 I don't know
>I'm afraid.

Atmel provides, on the EB40's CD-ROM, sources for a flash tool that runs in
RAM. The procedure is:

* make sure the switch is set for low 64K boot
* boot Angel or GDB stubs on the EB40
* connect with GDB/Insight and upload the flasher program to RAM
* run the flasher program, which somehow accepts the new binary over the
serial link (I think a raw binary upload, I don't recall right now).
* once complete, flip the switch and reset. (your app gets burned into the
upper 64K of flash).

I'm 99% finished a little RAM-loaded booter application that is simpler
(for me) to use. The procedure for my app is:

* boot the EB40's "serial bootloader" by holding down FIQ while resetting
* use the BINCOM utility to upload my app to RAM
* press IRQ0 to start execution
* use Hyperterminal to upload your binary using Xmodem
* wait for LED to go out and you're ready to go

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."