[ECOS] Hello_eCos_World on iPAQ.

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 10:42:00 GMT 2001

Victor Tarasov wrote:

> Hi,
> It seems that I am not so intelligent to run alone my first RedBoot
> application on iPAQ.
> Can you help me, please?

Are you using the precompiled binaries available from
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/ipaq.html ?

Once you know you've got something working, then you will probably find it
easier to rebuild and be sure there aren't any problems with e.g. your
tools etc.

> Package installation was made by:
> >ecosconfig new ipaq redboot
> >ecosconfig import redboot_RAM.ecm
> >ecosconfig resolve
> >ecosconfig tree
> >make
>
> Hello_eCos was compiled with:
> >arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -c -o hello.o -g -Wall
> -I/redboot/ecos-ram/install/include -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
> hello.c
> >arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -nostartfiles
> -L/redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib -Wl,--gc-sections -o hello hello.o
> -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib /redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib/version.o
>
> Then GDB:
> >arm-elf-gdb  -nw  hello

It looks what you are describing is that you are using the build tree
configured with "ecosconfig new ipaq redboot" to build your applications.
This isn't right - the redboot template is used solely for building redboot
itself. Instead start with a new clean build tree and just use a default
configuration like:

ecosconfig new ipaq
ecosconfig tree
make

In fact then do:

make tests

which will build some test applications under install/tests/ which you can
try out on the board, which may help avoid any pilot error in building the
hello world example.

> PS: How can I recompile RedBoot for iPAQ?
> "RedBoot" template with the imported configuration
> $ECOS_REPOSITORY/packages/hal/arm/sa11x0/ipaq/current/misc/redboot_Compaq.ecm
> (also redboot_rom.ecm)
> gives the binaries that are not working on the iPAQ.
> The templates "all", "default" and "stubs" give the error during
> compilation.

Do recompile RedBoot you must use the redboot template only. Make sure you
are using a new clean build tree when you build for a different template.

I take it you are following the instructions in the RedBoot user's guide on
installing for the ipaq, of course.