[ECOS] working with multiple targets

Bart Veer bartv@redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 06:14:00 GMT 2001

    Fano> I'm currently working with two toolchains: the edb7xxx and
    Fano> the linux synthetic target ones. What I've done is build the
    Fano> first toolchain as explained in the distribution
    Fano> installation instruction then rename the directory "tools"
    Fano> as "toolsarm". Then build the second toolchain and rename
    Fano> the directory "tools" as "toolslin". I've tried add to the
    Fano> PATH variable "/toolsarm/H-i686...." or
    Fano> "/toolslin/H-i686..." depending on which target I'd like to
    Fano> work, but this don't work. The only solution I've found so
    Fano> far is to define /tools as a soft link pointing to either
    Fano> /toolsarm or /toolslin depending on which target I work. But
    Fano> I'm not satisfied with this solution as it requires 2 extra
    Fano> steps (removing and creating the link) and the super user
    Fano> privilege to switch from one target to the other. Any hint
    Fano> for a more convenient solution welcome, particularly for
    Fano> sharing commands between the two toolchains.

    Fano> (I remember having seen a thread on that subject but
    Fano> couldn't find it from the mailing list archive)

Moving tools around after they have been installed is a bad idea. The
install path is built into the tools in various places. Instead just
use a different prefix when configuring, e.g. in one build tree use;

   <path>/configure --prefix /usr/local/arm-elf ...

and in the other build tree, use:

   <path>/configure --prefix /usr/local/i686-elf ...

Then you just add both /usr/local/arm-elf/bin and
/usr/local/i686-elf/bin to your path.

The /tools directory in the installation instructions is intended as
an example, not an absolute requirement.

Bart