[ECOS] UPnP and Ecos

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards larwe@larwe.com
Thu Apr 12 05:56:00 GMT 2001

>I'm evaluating the port of UPnP SDK from Intel on an embedding Linux like Ecos
>probably for a ARM7 Samsung target.

It's quite complicated; eCos has MOST of the underlying requirements but
the port isn't simple. If you can afford to do so, WAIT and work on
polishing other parts of your product. Microsoft is working on a
"standalone" UPnP implementation. They keep promising and re-promising and
pushing the date further into the future, but it is coming eventually (we
will not consider attempting to implement anything UPnP until this SDK
addition is released).

Wait-and-see also lets you avoid implementing it if it all implodes before
market-time. A couple of major players pulled out, and in other fields
there are upcoming and/or recently-announced competing standards that will
probably be better supported for some time. Unless you REALLY need a UPnP
logo on your box in Q4'01 or Q1'02 (I hope you have more selling points
than that.... :) a good strategy to pursue is enthusiastic talk only, since
that's what everyone else is doing.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."