[ECOS] Redboot and builtin functions

Bart Veer bartv@redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 06:48:00 GMT 2000

    Gary> On 19-Oct-2000 Fabrice Gautier wrote:

    >> Last place I saw is in redboot, but only for memset, memcpy is
    >> not implemted here... (why almost all the strings functions but
    >> memcpy?)

    Gary> RedBoot was originally targetted to be built with only the
    Gary> HAL package. In particular, I had wanted to leave out even
    Gary> INFRA. Sadly, there are many dependencies on INFRA, even in
    Gary> HAL. In fact, you should think of HAL as being layered in
    Gary> INFRA.

    Gary> That's the reason for the [private] copies of the various
    Gary> functions in RedBoot.

    Gary> 'memcpy' turns out to just be an oversight.

For the record, having absolutely everything depend on INFRA was a
deliberate decision early on in the design process. It means that
there will always be assertion macros and the like available, and
hence there is no excuse for writing code without assertions. This
should probably be documented somewhere.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer