[ECOS] Debugging via Ethernet. (on i386 platform)

Jesper Skov jskov@redhat.com
Mon Oct 9 00:31:00 GMT 2000

Fabrice> Hi, I now have an ethernet driver that seems to work ok with
Fabrice> the eCos tests.

Fabrice> Now that I have this driver I would like to use it as a debug
Fabrice> channel. (at least for download and/or diagnostic output) I
Fabrice> think this is already possible on some platform. At least the
Fabrice> RedBoot demo at ESC was showing that.

Fabrice> But how do I do it with my i386?  Is there some tcp/ip
Fabrice> support in the gdb stub (that i should port) ? Or does
Fabrice> RedBoot provide the stub with a channel (serial or ip)
Fabrice> transparently (so porting redboot will give me that - and lot
Fabrice> more ) ?  Does converting the i386 port to use the eCos/ROM
Fabrice> Monitor Calling Interface would help ?

Yes, AFAIK you need to do this since RedBoot does all its IO via the
comm channel tables. That's how it allows you to switch between serial
and ethernet debugging channels. It should all come automatically with
the conversion to the calling interface... I think :)  Gary may want
to add further comments...

Jesper