[ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 20:06:00 GMT 2000

Stephen Williams wrote:
[snip]
> > ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPAGENT: warning
> >     This package is not present in the component repository.
> >     There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/agent'.
> > Segmentation fault
>
> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > Host sources, not target sources!
>
> Yes, it is the host program (ecosconfig) that is crashing.

Sorry I misread what you were showing me. I thought it was the errors at
the top, which are in fact just warnings.

> This is frustrating because the web pages claim that all this stuff was
> tested under RedHat 6.1, but I guess that doesn't include Linux/alpha.
> Grrr! Even RedHat treats us alpha owners as second class citizens:-(

This web page predates being assimilated into Red Hat, and the pedantry
level for documentation that was required wasn't quite high enough then.
Sometimes we even misspelt Red Hat as Redhat ;-).

You are completely correct though and I've clarified the web page in
question. But if one of our customers chooses to use an alpha host in
future, I'm sure we'll all be happier then :-).

The reason for my doubts was that I *have* heard of successes on alpha
linux, so there is hope :).

> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > Perhaps rebuilt gcc 2.95.2 from source then, rather than installing an
> > RPM that would replace your default system gcc. If you build from
> > source you can install it to somewhere private.
>
> Oh, I should have thought of that, silly me. But what about libstdc++?
> Will it work with the precompiled libstdc++ or am I going to need to ...
> Oh nevermind, I should be able to figure that out for myself.

gcc 2.95.2 sources include libstdc++.