[ECOS] RedBoot: Restarting a program without reseting the ta

Bart Veer bartv@redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 03:41:00 GMT 2000

    Gary> On 07-Nov-2000 Jonathan Larmour wrote:
    >> Fabrice Gautier wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if it is actually possible to stop a program
    >>> and restart it without the need to reset the target and
    >>> redboot. For now, when i want to restart the program I have to
    >>> reset everything.
    >>>
    >>> Do you think there is some chance to implement this feature?
    >>
    >> Use the "kill" command in gdb when the target is stopped (by
    >> ctrl-c). That will reset it target for you. Of course the
    >> hardware may be in a funny state, so no guarantees you get
    >> something sensible.
    >>
    >>> And what is supposed to happen when using Redboot to run a
    >>> program I hit a ctrl-C? For now with my i386 target, redboot
    >>> sends a T packet as if there was a gdb listenning. I would
    >>> like to have back the Redboot shell when I hit ctrl-C....
    >>
    >> Over to Gary.

    Gary> This is the designed behaviour - ^C sent to a running
    Gary> program implies breaking into GDB. It would not be very
    Gary> simple to do otherwise.

    Gary> However, once in GDB, sending the string "$k#6b" (without
    Gary> quotes of course) will kill the GDB session and should
    Gary> restart RedBoot.

Out of interest, what is the definition of "restart" in this context?
Ideally there would be some code in each platform HAL to reset the
various chips as much as possible and get back to a coherent state.
Obviously this cannot be achieved 100% on all platforms, but getting
close would be useful.

Bart