[ECOS] Building rommable images for the AEB-1C

Dan Hovang dan.hovang@cpen.com
Fri Jan 7 06:46:00 GMT 2000

Gary Thomas wrote:

> You really should use *all* of the options used by the standard eCos
> setup. In particular, these options tell the linker to throw away any
> unused code. In your test case, this amounts to more than 100K bytes!
> The image I build fits in ROM, even in the meager 32K defined as
> default.

The --gc-sections linkoption seems to corrupt the debuginfo, though.

When using -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections with compile and
--gc-sections with link and trying to connect with gdb i got:

(gdb) target remote com1
Remote debugging using com1
0xec78 in breakinst () at include/new:27
27      include/new: No such file or directory.

without -Wl,--gc-sections I get:

(gdb) target remote com1
Remote debugging using com1
0x136a4 in breakinst ()
    at ecos/packages/hal/arm/arch/v1_2_1/src/hal_misc.c:204
204         HAL_BREAKPOINT(breakinst);
Current language:  auto; currently c

Perhaps I'm missing some other option?

The compiler options are:

-g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes
-Woverloaded-virtual -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

And link options are:

-g -nostdlib -Wl,-static

I'm using ecosSWtools-arm-990321. I've also tried using the Insigth
19991222 snapshot.

/Dan