[ECOS] TCP/IP stacks

Gary Thomas gthomas@redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 09:31:00 GMT 2000

On 15-Feb-00 Grant Edwards wrote:

> In the near future, I'll be in need of a TCP/IP stack for eCos
> running on an ARM7.
>
> Something open-source would, of course, be best.
>
> I spent a little time yesterday looking at Tristan's port of
> the RTEMS stack.  Any ideas on how much memory it requires? I
> haven't yet figured out where to hook the ehternet driver --
> does it sit on top of an eCos device like the tty driver does
> on top of a serial driver?.
>
> I know there are a couple commercial stacks available, but I
> need something that can be re-distributed. Are there any other
> open-source stacks available?
>
> --
> Grant Edwards
> grante@visi.com

We are indeed working on networking support for eCos.  We will be
announcing a complete TCP/IP stack and support libraries, based on
the current OpenBSD implementation, within the next few weeks.

The networking support will be distributed as an optional package and,
like all of eCos, will be completely Open Source and royalty free.
This package exists at roughly the same "level" as the current
serial I/O package, with it's own device driver interfaces.  The
device drivers themselves are written using an API which allows them
to potentially be reused by other networking packages, not just
the one being developed internally.

FYI - The initial development is being done using currently supported
ARM7 and PowerPC platforms, so you should be off and running as soon
as the stack is released.