[ECOS] Re: pkgconf.tcl GUI mode

Bart Veer bartv@redhat.com
Fri Feb 4 04:54:00 GMT 2000

    Dave> I was noticing that the pkgconf.tcl has GUI code for
    Dave> configuring the eCos OS on a Unix box (by setting the
    Dave> variable gui_mode, and using "wish" to run the script). Is
    Dave> there a reason this is not documented (or did I overlook
    Dave> something). I was under the impression that the only gui
    Dave> method to configure eCos was with the NT configtool.

    Dave> On second look, maybe I know - it only has limited
    Dave> configuration capability.

As Huge has already pointed out the GUI code was added as an
experiment, during a Sunday afternoon if I remember correctly. It
provides very little functionality, basically just the ability to
select the target and the packages you want. The Windows tool provides
much more functionality, but of course implementing that took a bit
longer than an afternoon.

It was decided not to continue with the pkgconf GUI, thus saving us
from having to maintain and more importantly document it. In addition
it might have caused some confusion between the full configuration
tool and pkgconf.tcl, which we wanted to avoid. The code has been left
in because some people have found it useful on occasion, but there is
no guarantee it still works.

To actually enable the code, you would need to apply a small patch
to the released version of pkgconf.tcl. In addition you would need to
run pkgconf.tcl using the wish interpreter rather than tclsh. For the
current anonymous CVS sources the patch below should work. For the
release version the line numbers may be slightly out.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer

--- pkgconf.tcl
+++ pkgconf.tcl
***************
*** 5968,5973 ****
--- 5970,5978 ----
      # The GUI can be run if the necessary commands are available and
      # if the user did not pass -nw.
      if { $pkgconf::gui_possible && ! $pkgconf::no_windows_arg } {
+
+ 	set pkgconf::gui_mode 1
+
      } else {