[ECOS] ARM cpu modes

Colin_Helliwell@Mitel.COM Colin_Helliwell@Mitel.COM
Wed Apr 5 03:09:00 GMT 2000

Jesper said in a message yesterday that "[ARM] Application threads run in
supervisor mode in eCos". I've heard/seen it said somewhere that the ARM's
privileged Supervisor mode was intended for OS-type operations, whilst the
non-privileged User mode was intended for application-level code. I was curious
about the rationale behind the choice made in eCos, and whether it is felt that
there are actually any pros and/or cons of running application threads in
supervisor mode.

Thanks.
Colin Helliwell