[ECOS] Re: Ecos Port to PPC509/PPC555

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 08:02:00 GMT 1999

Bart Veer wrote:

>     Jifl> But you can't rely on FP exceptions being generated - they
>     Jifl> don't for normal code, so I don't believe this is a viable
>     Jifl> option unless I've misunderstood you.
>
> On some architectures including the PPC (if I remember correctly), it
> is possible to disable the floating point unit. The first operation
> that attempts to access the floating point unit, even if it is just to
> access a floating point register, will cause a hardware exception.
> This is separate from normal floating point exceptions such as
> overflow.

Oops yes. I did misunderstand you :-). For what its worth, MIPS and x86 have
this as well IIRC.

Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...
 my brains kept falling out."    || http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos
Help fight spam! http://spam.abuse.net/  These opinions are all my own fault