[ECOS] Re: how many eCOS users?

Bart Veer bartv@cygnus.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 06:05:00 GMT 1999

    Grant> I'm trying to generate enough of a warm fuzzy feeling about
    Grant> eCOS in upper management to get them to go along with my
    Grant> recommendation to use it in a new product line.

    Grant> So far, the big advantage of eCOS is that we can give
    Grant> customers a pre-configured eCOS setup (including device
    Grant> drivers for our proprietary hardware) and a complete set of
    Grant> development tools if they want to develop their own
    Grant> applications. The Linux synthetic target is also a plus,
    Grant> though other vendors have similar things for their products
    Grant> that run under MS-Windows.

    Grant> The big disadvantage of eCOS is it's age -- or lack thereof
    Grant> to be precise. Management has heard of VRTX and Nucleus:
    Grant> those products have been around for 10-15 years (in various
    Grant> incarnations with various vendors).

    Grant> One of the questions I know they're going to ask is how
    Grant> many people are using eCOS in products?

    Grant> Is there any estimate of how many real projects are using
    Grant> eCOS?

The open source nature of eCos means it is just about impossible to
get a sensible estimate, but Cygnus is very pleased with the uptake to
date. I believe that the number of downloads from
sourceware.cygnus.com is ~15K and this number is still going up
rapidly. We do not know how many additional downloads happen from the
mirror sites, but since sourceware.cygnus.com is regularly overloaded
the mirror sites should boost the numbers significantly. Also we do
not know how many copies of eCos get distributed by means other than
direct ftp. Obviously only some fraction of these downloads will be
used for commercial projects, there will also be academic projects and
hobbyists. Having that many people look at the source code is of
course a good thing: http://www.opensource.org/for-suits.html is a
possible starting point if management needs convincing about that.

To put 15K+ downloads into perspective, one rather dubious comparison
would be with the uptake of Linux. Using the figures provided by
Forbes magazine ( http://www.forbes.com/forbes/98/0810/6203094s1.htm ),
after the first year there were an estimated 1000 users of Linux.

Information such as the number and nature of eCos support contracts is
considered commercially sensitive. A few customers such as Ascom are
happy to make their involvement with eCos public knowledge, other
customers value confidentiality.

The Cygnus commercial web pages contain a lot of information that
should appeal to upper management. Of particular interest would be:

  http://www.cygnus.com/ecos/micro.html
  http://www.cygnus.com/about/index.html

If there is a possibility of an eCos support contract, you may wish to
contact ecos-info@cygnus.com. The people on that list will be happy to
assist you in selling eCos to upper management, and have quite a bit
of experience in doing so :-) They should also be able provide you
with some other customer testimonials.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer