[ECOS] TCP/IP Stack for eCos

Fernando D. Mato Mira matomira@iname.com
Wed Apr 28 01:14:00 GMT 1999

At 05:54 PM 4/27/99 +0700, you wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:07:53 -0700, Fred Fierling wrote:
>
>>A TCP stack that doesn't use malloc? Interesting. Do
>>you forbid malloc to avoid problems like memory
>>leaks, to guarantee response time, or why?
>
>Perhaps to help in provability? (Ie. guaranteeing the system is valid.)
>I expect you could still use buffer pools, instead of a single generic
>malloc that handles allocations for all types. In C++ you could use a
>class-specific operator new and a private heap for each type.

Deterministic response time.

Some platforms that we use lack C++ compilers (eg, Analog Devices' SHARC DSP) .
In addiion to that, we could be restricted
to 544 Kbits of RAM (so the maximum program size would be 8K words of
48-bit instructions (leaving aside 8K 40-bit words for data)). That's a $10 DSP.
We just used the non-low-power version where we had the luxury of 1Mbit SRAM
inside. Among several other things, we had networking in it (custom, not IP).

Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Engineering & Networking
Advanced Systems Engineering Division
CSEM - Centre Suisse d'Electronique et de Microtechnique
Jaquet-Droz 1                                                                    Email:   matomira AT acm DOT org
CH-2007 Neuchatel                                                            Phone:    +41 (32) 720-5157
Switzerland                                                                       FAX:        +41 (32) 720-5720

http://www.csem.ch/         http://www.vrai.com/          http://ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html