ecos on Alpha

Tim Tenhave Tim.Tenhave@digital.com
Tue Nov 10 08:15:00 GMT 1998

Hello,

I am a software engineer for Compaq Computer Corp. (formally Digital
Equipment Corp.).  I attended the ESC '98 West last week and learned
about ecos there.  My management and I made contact with you folks and
hopefully will be having more discussions over the next few weeks.  I
have a few questions for this mailing list though...

1.) Has there been or is there any interest in ecos for the Alpha
processor?

2.) POSIX is a necessary thing for our current customer base, so work
in this area is important to us, is there currently a POSIX effort
going on in some way?

3.) Has anyone contacted the list to say that they are working on
an Alpha port (we are a large company and I have not yet found anyone
else within Compaq-Digital)?

4.) Do you have any sense if the currently available Alpha Linux tools
could
be used as a base to do the Alpha tools porting?  This is in an effort
avoid licensing issues with the shipping Compaq-Alpha tools under other
operating systems.

5.) We understand that Alpha is not usually considered an embedded
processor,
but we do have various Alpha SBC's.  In your venture in the embedded
market,
is there a target bus architecture that people ask and use more than
most
others?  I ask this question, since it would make sense to pick a
currently
available SBC to do the initial port with, than to also create a special
"eval" board.  This is from my current point of view.  Maybe responses
to this message will guide us down another road.

Let me say this, this message should in NO way be viewed as an official
statement that Compaq will be supporting ecos on Alpha.  It is just an
engineer that sees a need (for our custom project business) and a
possible solution.

Thanks for any input,

Tim Tenhave
Tim.Tenhave@Digital.com