Linking collections (was: RE: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools. ..)
Norman Walsh
ndw@nwalsh.com
Mon Jul 10 07:03:00 GMT 2000
/ Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> was heard to say:
| > -----Original Message-----
| > From: Norman Walsh [ mailto:ndw@nwalsh.com ]
| > SGML doesn't really have a good cross-document linking
| > solution (though
| > you can cobble one together, see my tutorials about olink on
| > nwalsh.com).
http://nwalsh.com/docbook/dsssl/doc/olinksemantics.html
| it, but I'd appreciate a pointer if you read this before I find it. There
| really needs to be a good way to link between separate documents for a lot
| of things. That's one of the biggest problems that the LDP has right now.
| It's very hard to reference other documents because all you can do is say
| "read document named X", and not do a very good job linking to that
| document, or even better, to a specific section of that document.
It's one of the biggest problems XML has right now, IMHO. It should
be/will/is possible to build a solution with XPointer and XLink, but I
don't know of an out-of-the-box one available now.
Be seeing you,
norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | All our foes are mortal.--Val\'ery
http://nwalsh.com/ |
More information about the Docbook-tools-discuss
mailing list