Does gcc now depend on libintl-devel ?

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Mon Feb 26 17:49:55 GMT 2024

On 2024-02-25 21:33, gs-cygwin.com--- via Cygwin wrote:
> Does gcc now depend on libintl-devel ?  Is this dependency declared?
>
> Along with the release of cygwin 3.5.0, my CI on github started failing,
> where autoconf would report that a working C compiler was not found for
> the Cygwin build.
>
> The github workflow in question: search for "Windows-Cygwin" in
> https://github.com/lighttpd/lighttpd1.4/blob/master/.github/workflows/pr.yml
>
> I added libintl-devel package to the package install list and things
> started working again.  This was a couple weeks ago and I forget exactly
> what I did to reproduce it locally, but if you need more details, I can
> try to document more carefully.
>
> Here is the workflow job which failed two weeks ago:
> https://github.com/gstrauss/lighttpd1.4/actions/runs/7841762861/job/21398761239
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in '/cygdrive/d/a/lighttpd1.4/lighttpd1.4':

$ cygcheck gcc
Found: C:/.../cygwin64/bin/gcc.exe
C:/.../cygwin64/bin/gcc.exe
   C:/.../cygwin64/bin/cygwin1.dll
     C:/WINDOWS/system32/KERNEL32.dll
       C:/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
       C:/WINDOWS/system32/KERNELBASE.dll
   C:/.../cygwin64/bin/cygiconv-2.dll
   C:/.../cygwin64/bin/cygintl-8.dll

so gcc depends on packages libiconv2 and libintl8, and others, providing the
DLLs, as documented on the gcc-core package summary page:

	https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/gcc-core.html

and building gcc-core etc. will require libiconv-devel and libintl-devel.

Check your package build dependencies, and config logs, as internationalized
packages, as yours may be, require any or all of gettext-devel, libiconv-devel,
libintl-devel, po4a to build, and some of your build dependencies may require
headers or libraries provided by -devel packages, as cygwin itself requires
libintl8, and those -devel packages to build.

You may want to rerun configure with --verbose messages and look at what the
failing check script and test program expects to be available to use.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry