cygwin1.dll 3.5.0-1 appears to cause spurious "error 127" with make 4.4.1

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 17:30:28 GMT 2024

On 26/02/2024 18:16, Dimitry Andric via Cygwin wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2024, at 18:00, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 26/02/2024 17:34, Dimitry Andric via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> After a recent upgrade of a Cygwin installation, including cygwin1.dll
>>> (see https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2024-February/255308.html) to
>>> 3.5.0-1, I now get spurious "error 127" messages from (Cygwin's copy of)
>>> GNU make 4.4.1-2, when it starts external processes and those external
>>> processes exit with a zero exit code.
>>> For example, a very simple Makefile:
>>> all:
>>> cmd /c echo done
>>> Running this a few times in a Cygwin bash prompt, gives:
>>>    Dim@kilchoman ~/foobar
>>>    $ make
>>>    cmd /c echo done
>>>    done
>>>    Dim@kilchoman ~/foobar
>>>    $ make
>>>    cmd /c echo done
>>>    done
>>>    make: *** [Makefile:2: all] Error 127
>>
>> this smells as a lost race with your AV
>> can you tell it to not bother the Cygwin directory ?
>
> I have no antivirus program except Microsoft's built-in thing, but even
> if I completely disable that, it makes no difference.

can you follow https://cygwin.com/problems.html and:
Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
attachment in your report.
maybe we found some additional suggestion for you